Sunday, June 1, 2014

Santiago, May 26, 2014

Dear Family,

So I bought new insoles. There was no change. Today I figured out that I put them in upside-down. That could be part of the reason... Either way, I think I'm going to go resole my other shoes. Ah, but you have no idea how hard it is to find insoles here! I looked for more than an hour! The greatest part is that five minutes before P-Day ended, I found a place that sold insoles - and even though they didn't make the difference I hoped, it was still much more comfortable than my old ones. God loves me!
I realized how important it is to teach members this week. Since we almost don't eat with members in this area, we kinda stopped doing it. During exchanges (which we do basically every week), I realized the importance of it. We ate with the branch president. As we shared the scripture it came up that he wasn't doing his family night. We talked about the importance of doing it to show the example for the branch so that they might all follow his example and be strengthened. We also had the chance to share with quite a few recent converts this week. It's just so critical that as members we continue progressing and perfecting ourselves. After all, that's the point of the church, right? (Ephesians 4:12)
I always love talking about the little miracles. They're always fun! A less active fell through the other day, and we didn't have any more plans, so we decided to knock the door of the neighbor! That's always great. He received us well and has a great little family! God will always lead us.
I had a few great studies this week. One was on the importance of accepting correction, because it's just God showing his love for us! I also read about the importance of kneeling prayers, and being completely committed to follow through with what we promise and what we ask for. Then in church on Sunday I gave an impromptu class on chapter 10 in the JFS book. The topic? Scripture study! I loved the quote about reading at least 15 minutes per day. As President Smith said, it really isn't anything, but the blessings are huge!
We had an awesome day... Thursdayish. I think. A member came with us and brought his car. Missionary work in cars is really fun! We visited Estefanía, who's kinda just been there on the back burner since I got here. She's really great, always reading and praying, has a testimony and is going to church, but she's not married. Then when we went, she said that she'd talked to her husband and said,"Either one of us goes, or we get married," because she's not going to live in sin anymore. She's getting married! I love when people decide to get married! It's so great!!! We're planning her baptism for this week!
I filled up the last pages in my journal. It was somewhat of a sad day. Oh well. The new one I have is huge. Journal writing is a pain, but it's so worth it.
Haha! We talked to a guy that told us something to this effect - "Most people around here are Catholics, but recently there are some Mormons that have invaded and are going around here making all the women go around in skirts!" My comp and I were laughing so hard inside, but we never did get around to telling him that we were Mormons. He'll get it when he reads the pamphlet.
I spilled hot chocolate on my new tie and shirt just before going to church. It was sad. The greatest part is that with a little water, it came right out! Again with the little miracles.
I confirmed for the first time on Sunday. It was the first time in a long time I participated in an ordinance for the first time. It happened a ton in the beginning of my mission, but it's been months since I had that experience. It was really awesome!
I love all the lists in the church! We updated our ward directory and went to go visit people on Sunday. We found a family that had stopped going for all the other stuff that happens in life and just never got around to going back. They said that no one had visited them in that time, and when we invited them to come back, they accepted! It's always so great to have a reminder like that that there are people just waiting for an invitation to return!
Anyway, that was my week! Hope you all have a great one!
Landon

No comments:

Post a Comment